Last updated: 11/21/2021
I'm a gearhead. I tend to spend WAY too much money on gear. However, good gear will last, so over time that money spent becomes investment. Still, I'm always trying to find the next best thing when one breaks or is past its lifetime.
As a way of intro, I used to climb big mountains, and spent at least 5 months a year outdoors. I also spent many years in the military, usually sneaking into places, calling for very specific gear that needed to survive harsh environments. I know gear. I love good kit.
Below I list my current favourite gear. Mostly for outdoor activities, but some for the daily grind in the city. I try things before I recomend them, and I place a premium on performance, durability, comfort and general experience overall.
I walk and ruck a lot, and when I can I still climb and hike.
- Salomon Speedcross 5: running and general walking / commuting.
- Scarpa Ribelle HD: mountaineering, heavy hiking, and days in the ski slopes.
- Arc'teryx Konseal LT: everyday shoe for the city / commuting.
- La Sportiva TX4: hiking and approach.
- Patagonia Micro Puff Hoody: commuting, hiking, and climbing.
- Arc'teryx Alpha FL: rain jacket for everything.
- Thrudark Phalanx Fleece: heavy fleece for outdoor activities in winter.
- Patagonia R1 Fleece: mid layer for everything, from commuting to alpine climbing.
- Patagonia Jeans: commuting, and climbing.
- Arc'teryx Lefroy: hiking and summer climbing.
- Arc'teryx Sigma FL: fall / winter hiking and alpine climbing.
- Patagonia Simul Alpine: alpine climbing / mountaineering.
- GORUCK GR1: commuting, rucking, and traveling.
- Arc'teryx Grandville 16: lightweght commuting.
- Arc'teryx Alpha FL 40: lightweight alpine climbing and hiking.
- Patagonia Altvia 14: lightweght hiking.